at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science
Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become
to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in
our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding
strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
And for plenty of good reasons, since:
1. it can cause excessive
sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 50 people if they supported
a ban of the chemical.
Forty-three (43) said yes, six (6) were undecided, and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.